This Is For The Birds

This Is For The Birds

Monday, June 25, 2012

FAVORITE PHOTOS: 120610 (continued)

Below are one dozen other photographs of birds (in the time line order that took them) that I include in my favorite birding photographs from June 10th, 2012.

Mallard Ducks (07:54AM)

Blue Jay (07:56AM)

Great Blue Heron (08:28AM)

Great Blue Heron (08:29AM)

Great Blue Heron (0829AM)

Great Blue Heron (08:29AM)

Common Grackle (09:02AM)

Blue Grosbeak (10:15AM)

Blue Grosbeak (10:15AM)

Indigo Bunting (10:34AM)

Indigo Bunting (10:34AM)

Blue Grosbeak (11:18AM)

In closing, the Great Blue Heron's eyes were bigger than its belly. It did not even try to swallow that fish in regular fashion. It took it back in a corner of the lake that is thick with aquatic vegetation and put in down into the water, seemingly pinning it with its huge feet while taking a few chunks out its gut.

The Blue Grosbeaks were a first time for me, and getting photographs of them were like icing on the day's cake. I had gotten the female with the male, from a rather long distance, at approximately 10:15AM, but as I was calling it quits for the day, the female seemed to follow me to my car, lighting in the grass within a couple of feet from me several times while collecting insects and such. She really put on a show and did not care that I was watching. I guess that's the way it is when birds have young ones to feed.

All in all, it proved to be a great day of birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment